Things to Look For Before Consuming Domperidone | Good Doctor
One type of drug that can relieve nausea and vomiting is domperidone. Nausea and vomiting are symptoms that we often experience when we are not feeling well.
Nausea and vomiting can be caused by germs that cause various kinds of infections, be it bacteria, viruses, fungi, or even parasites.
Infections caused by these germs usually attack the lining of the stomach wall and intestinal lining. When experiencing this, to reduce nausea and vomiting, we will usually take drugs such as domperidone.
What is domperidone and how does it work?
Domperidone belongs to a group of drugs called dopamine antagonists, which are a type of anti-emetic used to treat nausea and vomiting.
This drug increases movement or contractions in the digestive system, such as the stomach and intestines.
This drug is also used to treat symptoms of gastric disorders. Not only that, this drug can also be used in Parkinson’s disease, such as levodopa, pramipexole, And apomorphine.
Primarily, these drugs work by blocking dopamine receptors which are found at the upper end of the digestive system.
This causes the muscles to tighten when they enter the stomach, relax the muscles when they leave the stomach, and increase the contraction of the muscles themselves in the stomach.
In the sense of the word this drug works by increasing the movement of food through the stomach and digestive tract more quickly. The way it does it can reduce feelings of pain, bloating, and fullness.
It also prevents food from flowing the wrong way through the stomach and prevents reflux (regurgitation of stomach contents back into the food pipe). Regurgitation itself is a state of liquid rising to the top of the stomach.
These drugs also block dopamine receptors which are found in areas of the brain better known as chemoreceptors (CTZ). The CTZ is activated by nerve messages from the stomach when irritation comes. It is also activated directly by agents circulating in the blood, eg chemotherapy drugs.
Once activated, it will send messages to other areas of the brain, where the vomiting center is located, which in turn will send messages to the gut, which will cause a gag reflex.
Blocking the dopamine receptors in the CTZ will prevent nausea from being sent to the vomiting center. This can reduce the sensation of nausea so as to prevent vomiting.
Also read: Is it true that Ibuprofen Can Make COVID-19 Patients Worse?
Before taking this drug, pay attention to the following points
Domperidone is a drug that should not be taken carelessly. Before deciding to take this drug, make sure that you have told your doctor about your health condition.
If you have the conditions below, it is very necessary to consult a doctor first.
1. Own history kbreast anchorage
This drug can increase prolactin which is a hormone in the body. If you have a history of breast cancer, ask your doctor about the risks of using this drug. This is because some breast cancers are considered dependent on the hormone prolactin.
2. Own mheart rhythm problems and cardiac arrest (cardiac arrest)
Recent research has shown that the risk of an abnormal heart rhythm or cardiac arrest (can lead to sudden death) is higher in people who take more than 30 mg of this drug per day, or in people over 60 years of age.
3. Own problem fheart function
Liver disease or reduced liver function can cause this drug to build up in the body and could cause side effects. If you have liver function problems, ask your doctor how this medication affects your medical condition.
4. Having problems fkidney function
Not only liver function problems that can cause this drug to accumulate in the body, kidney function is the same and can cause side effects. Your doctor may suggest a lower dose if you have this health condition.
Who should not take this drug?
There are several conditions in which a person is not advised to use this drug to treat nausea and vomiting. This should also be very concerned. You should not use this medicine if you:
- Allergy to domperidone or other drug ingredients
- Currently taking ketoconazole medication
- Have a prolactinoma (a tumor of the pituitary gland)
- Have significant disturbances in the levels of electrolytes (salts such as potassium and magnesium) in the blood
- Have bleeding in the stomach or intestines
- Have decreased liver function (moderate and severe cases)
- Have heart disease (such as heart failure)
If you have the above problems it is highly not recommended to take this drug, for fear that it will have a bad effect on the body. Contact your doctor to find out more about the effects that can be caused.
Dosage instructions for domperidone
Before using this drug, it’s a good idea to pay attention to the dosage first. The dosage for using this drug will be different for each patient.
Just follow the doctor’s instructions. The information to be provided includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dosage is different, don’t change it, unless your doctor tells you beforehand.
The number of doses you take each day, the time allowed to take this medicine, and the length of time to take this medicine depend on the medical problem you have.
Dosage is also greatly affected by body weight, other medical conditions, and other drugs consumed.
Usually, the dose given for adults and children aged over 12 years is 10 mg to be taken 3 times a day. The maximum is 30 mg a day. Whereas in children under 12 years of age, the dose given is very dependent on their body weight.
For more details, here are the doses that you should pay attention to:
Medication in tablet form:
- Treatment of gastrointestinal motility disorders: Adults 10 milligrams (mg) 3 to 4 times daily. Some patients may require higher doses up to 20 mg 3 or 4 times daily
- Treatment of nausea and vomiting: Adults 20 milligrams (mg) 3 to 4 times daily
This dosage must be very careful before taking this drug. If you are still confused about the dosage you are taking, you should consult a doctor so you don’t overdose.
How to take domperidone?
Before you take this drug to treat the medical condition you are experiencing, first read the information on the paper in the package.
This can help you to get more information about this drug. You can also find out the full list of side effects after you consume it.
- This medicine can be consumed up to 3 times a day. This medication must be taken for a short time, usually no longer than 7 days at the lowest dose to have an effect
- The dosage prescribed depends on the symptoms to be treated, and will vary from person to person. Instead, always follow the instructions given by the doctor
- Medication in capsule form, must be swallowed with drinking water
- To take medicine in syrup form, you should use the spoon in the product package to get the right dose. Do not use a tablespoon, as this will not give the correct dose
- It is highly recommended to take this medication 15 to 30 minutes before eating. This is because, this drug will work by taking longer if it is taken after eating
- If you forget to take this medicine, do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose
- Excessive consumption of this drug will be very dangerous. If you take it not according to the prescribed dosage, you may experience a fast and irregular heartbeat
- If you are taking this drug for nausea and vomiting, you can stop taking it when you feel better
- Store the drug in a closed container at room temperature (between 15 – 30°C), away from heat, humidity and direct light. Keep out of reach of children
Possible side effects
In general, drugs consumed to treat medical conditions have side effects. Just like drugs in general, domperidone also has side effects.
Some of the side effects given by drugs that can overcome nausea and vomiting are:
- Dry mouth (most common side effect)
- Itching of the skin, redness, or even pain
- Pain in the breast
- Feeling very hot
- Eye swelling
- Menstrual irregularities
- Milk coming out of the breast
- Swelling of the breasts that occurs in men
There are several other side effects that this drug also has, but these side effects are rare, such as:
- Appetite changes
- Leg cramps or stomach cramps
- Feeling very tired
If the side effects mentioned above are still ongoing, you should immediately contact your doctor to get further treatment.
Domperidone should be consumed according to the rules given, because if you consume this drug excessively you will experience overdose symptoms such as:
- It’s hard to talk
- Feel dizzy
- Irregular heartbeat and palpitations
- Dizzy to light
Immediately consult a doctor if other symptoms appear, such as:
- Loss of balance or muscle control
- Swelling of the mouth
- Swelling of the face, hands and feet
Therefore, it is advisable to consult a doctor first to avoid overdose and misuse.
Can domperidone be consumed by breastfeeding mothers?
The use of domperidone in nursing mothers is usually not recommended, because the substances in this medicine can pass into breast milk, although in small amounts.
If your baby is premature, has a low birth weight, or has health problems, consult your doctor before taking painkillers.
Sometimes, this medication is used to increase the milk supply in mothers who are breastfeeding. However, there is some evidence that using this medication to increase your milk supply can give your baby an irregular heartbeat.
However, if this drug has already been consumed by a mother who is breastfeeding, and the baby does something unusual, such as sleeping more than usual, consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Domperidone can indeed help with nausea and vomiting. However, this drug should not be taken carelessly. Use this drug wisely. It’s a good idea to call and consult your doctor before using this drug.
Take care of your health and that of your family with regular consultations with our doctor partners. Download the Good Doctor application now, click these linksyes!