The Dangers of Eating Junk Food for Diabetics, Check the Effects Here
Behind the savory taste and fast presentation, junk food or fast food is not only dangerous for healthy people but also for diabetics. What is the impact of consuming these foods for someone who has diabetes? Check out the full explanation below.
Danger Junk Food for Diabetics
Junk food is food and drink with low nutritional value; high in fat, salt, and sugar. These foods are also thought to contain a few vitamins and minerals as well as a type of fiber that can slow down the breakdown of carbohydrates in the body.
In diabetic patients themselves, consuming junk food can cause adverse effects that lead to complications.
Here are some of the dangers junk food for diabetics to watch out for:
1. Raise Blood Sugar Levels Quickly
In general, junk food contains quite high calories. While some fast foods can be healthy, for example, salads, sushi and sandwiches; however, some of these foods often contain high amounts of added sugar.
For people with diabetes or diabetes, it is important to be aware of added sugar which is usually easy to find in fast food snacks. This can cause the food to be digested more quickly by the body. As a result, blood glucose levels also increase.
2. Increases the Risk of Obesity
Besides being low in nutrients, junk food usually served in large portions and not filling. These two factors make a person consume it in excessive amounts.
This of course can have a negative impact on diabetes; associated with spikes in blood sugar and weight gain.
3. Increased Triglyceride Levels
Another danger of junk food for diabetes is related to cholesterol. This is because junk food contains high levels of trans fat and saturated fat. Both, can increase triglyceride or fat levels in the blood. High levels of triglycerides can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes.
4. Increases Blood Pressure
Unhealthy foods usually contain sodium (salt) in large quantities. So if diabetics like to consume junk food, he will be susceptible to high blood pressure.
5. Complications of Heart Disease
Besides can increase cholesterol levels, fast food can also put diabetics at greater risk of heart disease complications; such as heart attack, heart failure and stroke.
6. Triggers Depression
People with a history of glycemic disorders such as diabetes are prone to depression. This condition may get worse if you consume it frequently junk food. In fact, according to the National Library of Medicine, this type of food can increase the risk of mental disorders and violent behavior in children and adolescents.
- Anonymous. Association between junk food consumption and mental health in a national sample of Iranian children and adolescents: the CASPIAN-IV study. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25280418/. (Accessed January 26, 2023)
- Anonymous. Diabetes and Depression: Coping with the two conditions. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/diabetes-and-depression/faq-20057904. (Accessed January 26, 2023)
- Leonard Jayne. 2019. Junk Food and Diabetes: Tips for Eating Out. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317122. (Accessed January 26, 2023)
- Hepler Linda. 2023. Junk Food and Diabetes. https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/junk-food. (Accessed January 26, 2023)
- Randy. Junk Food. https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/junk-food/. (Accessed January 26, 2023)
- Patra Kumar Surajeet. 2022. Does Junk Food Cause Diabetes?. https://www.breathewellbeing.in/blog/does-junk-food-cause-diabetes/. (Accessed January 26, 2023)
DoctorHealthy | © 2023 PT Media Kesehatan Indonesia. Copyright Protected