Recommended Diet Menu for Cancer Sufferers
Cancer disease and treatment can make a person experience digestive disorders to mental disorders. In addition, this condition also makes sufferers experience a decrease in appetite. So, what foods are suitable for cancer sufferers? Check out the full list below.
Diet and Its Influence on Cancer
Cancer is a serious disease that can affect every aspect of health, including appetite and eating patterns.
Cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and some forms of radiation therapy can cause various side effects, including:
- Constipation is a condition that can cause discomfort and reduce the desire to eat.
- Diarrhea causes you to have frequent bowel movements, this is a condition that can deplete nutrients in the body.
- Fatigue makes the body less active, so you burn fewer calories and don’t feel hungry throughout the day.
- Loss of taste which can make food unappealing.
- Nausea and vomiting which can reduce appetite and cause weight loss.
Because cancer treatment can cause changes in appetite and weight, it’s important to pay attention to diet.
In addition to helping maintain a healthy weight, eating a balanced diet during chemotherapy or radiation therapy can provide other benefits, including:
- Help manage side effects of medication.
- Increases energy.
- Increase muscle tone.
- Maintain immune function.
- Reduces inflammation.
Also Read: Regular Yogurt Consumption Lowers Breast Cancer Risk?
Food Menu for Cancer Sufferers
Anyone with a chronic illness—even if they don’t have cancer—should eat a diet high in protein, healthy fats, whole grains, vitamins, and minerals.
If possible, make dietary adjustments before cancer treatment begins so that it will support the treatment process being carried out.
The following are foods that must be in the diet for cancer sufferers, including:
1. Vegetable Protein
Some of the best foods to enjoy during chemotherapy or other cancer treatments are plant proteins. These foods offer high vitamins and minerals.
You can get vegetable protein from vegetables, nuts, legumes, and whole grains. If you eat animal protein, choose lean ones like chicken or fish.
2. Healthy Carbohydrates
When choosing a meal that contains carbohydrates, it’s best to choose foods that are minimally processed such as whole grains, bran (wheat bran), and oats.
These foods have soluble fiber which helps maintain good bacteria in the gut. Soluble fiber also encourages the production of short chain fatty acids (SCFA) which help increase the body’s metabolism to repair cells.
3. Healthy Fats
Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats also have health benefits for cancer. Avocados, olive oil, grapeseed oil and walnuts are all high in omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight inflammation and promote heart health.
4. Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins and minerals to help the body’s enzymatic processes and play a major role in improving immune function and reducing inflammation. If possible, choose foods fortified with vitamin D. These foods include milk, orange juice, yogurt and cereal.
Also Read: 8 Most Powerful and Effective Cancer Treatments
Foods to Avoid Cancer Sufferers
While undergoing cancer treatment, watch your diet carefully. Look at the nutrition labels on packaged foods and prepare your own meals as often as possible. Here are some foods that you should avoid, including:
- Raw fish
- Unpasteurized cheese and dairy products.
- Unwashed fruit or vegetables.
- Undercooked eggs or foods containing raw eggs, such as homemade mayonnaise.
Now, that’s the diet that must be considered by cancer sufferers. Hopefully this information is useful, Healthy Friends.
- Anonymous. Cancer Diet: Foods to Add and Avoid During Cancer Treatment. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/cancer/cancer-diet-foods-to-add-and-avoid-during-cancer-treatment. (Accessed February 10, 2023)
- Anonymous. 2022. Nutrition in Cancer Care (PDQ®)–Patient Version. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/side-effects/appetite-loss/nutrition-pdq. (Accessed February 10, 2023)
- Anonymous. Nutrition Services for Cancer Patients. https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-clinics/cancer-nutrition-services/during-cancer-treatment.html. (Accessed February 10, 2023)
DoctorHealthy | © 2023 PT Media Kesehatan Indonesia. Copyright Protected