Is it true that alcoholic drinks can trigger cancer?
Not only can it make you drunk, alcoholic beverages are also often associated with several chronic diseases. So, do alcoholic beverages make a person susceptible to cancer? Check out the explanation in the following review.
The Link between Alcoholic Beverages and Cancer
Alcoholic beverages are a type of drink that is not recommended for consumption because there are many health risks that can occur, especially if you consume them frequently. One of the diseases that can arise is cancer.
Alcoholic drinks can increases the risk of several types of cancer, including cancer of the mouth, throat, colorectal, esophagus, liver, and breast.
In fact, if you consume one glass of alcoholic beverage every day, it can increase your risk of developing breast cancer by up to four percent.
Meanwhile, someone who daily consumption of more than three glasses, the risk of cancer increases sharply by 40 to 50 percent.
In addition, this type of drink is also a major trigger for the problem of obesity which eventually progresses to heart disease or diabetes. Other health problems that can arise include high blood pressure, cirrhosis, and depression.
Also Read: 7 Ways to Overcome Alcohol Addiction Most Effectively
The various side effects above can be worse if you smoke. Both activities can cause more damage to cells.
A smoker and alcoholic higher risk of cancer of the mouth and upper throat. This can happen due to the following factors:
- Alcohol can make it easier for harmful chemicals from tobacco smoke to enter the mouth and throat into the bloodstream.
- Alcohol can change how toxic chemicals from tobacco smoke are broken down in the body, making them more harmful.
Other factors, such as being overweight (obesity), poor oral hygiene, and unhealthy eating patterns, can also increase the risk of cancer.
Explanation Why Alcoholic Drinks Cause Cancer
Although alcoholic beverages can trigger cancer, it does not mean that if you consume them directly you will get cancer. The risk depends on many factors, including age and genetics.
However, there are several main factors alcohol can cause cancer, including:
1. Damage to Cells
When you drink alcohol, your body converts it into a chemical called acetaldehyde. These substances can cause damage to cells and can also stop cells from repairing this damage.
2. Hormonal changes
Drinking alcohol can increase the levels of several hormones such as estrogen and insulin. Hormones are chemical messengers and higher levels can make cells divide more frequently, a condition that increases the chances of cancer cells developing.
Also Read: Recognize the Various Types of Liquor and Their Alcohol Levels
3. Cell Changes in the Mouth and Throat
Alcohol can also make the cells in the mouth and throat more likely to absorb harmful chemicals. This is what allows cancer-causing substances (such as those in cigarette smoke) to enter cells and cause damage.
Keep in mind, alcohol itself can cause harm. Even all types of alcohol such as beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages can increase the risk of cancer.
Nowthat’s a complete explanation about alcoholic beverages and their relation to an increased risk of cancer.
- Anonymous. 2020. Alcohol Use and Cancer. https://www.cancer.org/healthy/cancer-causes/diet-physical-activity/alcohol-use-and-cancer.html. (Accessed March 2, 2023)
- Anonymous. 2021. Does alcohol cause cancer?. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/alcohol-and-cancer/does-alcohol-cause-cancer. (Accessed March 2, 2023)
- Anonymous. 2022. Alcohol and Cancer. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/alcohol/index.htm. (Accessed March 2, 2023)
- Anonymous. How alcohol causes cancer. https://www.cancervic.org.au/cancer-information/preventing-cancer/limit-alcohol/how-alcohol-causes-cancer. (Accessed March 2, 2023)
DoctorHealthy | © 2023 PT Media Kesehatan Indonesia. Copyright Protected