Benefits of the Crown of the Gods to overcome Cough
Coughing is the body’s defense mechanism to prevent foreign particles from entering the lower respiratory tract. Coughing serves to protect the respiratory tract from aspiration and clear fluid secretions such as mucus, foreign particles, and infectious organisms
Based on its duration, cough is divided into 3, namely acute cough that occurs for less than 3 weeks, subacute cough that occurs for 3-8 weeks, and chronic cough that occurs for more than 8 weeks. A cough that persists continuously accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, runny nose, nasal congestion, sore throat, earache, and muscle aches requires further examination by a doctor for diagnosis and determining the appropriate treatment.
In addition to seeing a doctor or a health facility, cough treatment can be done independently to relieve acute cough for less than 3 weeks, such as getting enough rest, drinking lots of water, and adopting a healthy lifestyle.
In addition, to relieve cough, you can consume cough medicines made from natural and traditional ingredients, including ingredients from the crown of the gods (Phaleria macrocarpa), elephant ginger extract (Zingiber officinale), legundi leaves (Vitex trifolia), and saga leaves (Abrus precatorius). .4
Mahkota dewa is a shrub belonging to the Thymelaeceae family and is a herbal plant native to Indonesia. The crown of the gods is widely known to the public regarding its efficacy in treating various diseases
Mahkota dewa or known as simalakama fruit has several compounds such as alkaloids, phenols, flavonoids, lignans, tannins, saponins, and steroids. Mahkota dewa can be used to relieve coughs through its mechanism of action as an antibacterial, antiviral, and antioxidant. 6,7 Research also states that crown of gods is known to have anti-inflammatory activity from flavonoids, terpenoids, phenols, and saponins which function to soothe the throat. 6,8 In addition, the content of flavonoids, flavonols and phenolics in the crown of the god fruit has also been shown to be a potent antioxidant
Mahkota dewa fruit extract is also known to have activity as an antibacterial as evidenced by studies showing the crown of the god can inhibit the growth of S. aureus and P. aeruginosa bacteria (bacteria that cause infections in the upper respiratory tract). 7,9
Mahkota dewa is currently widely processed as herbal medicine, both in single formulas and in combination with other herbal plants. Herbakof is one of the herbal medicines that utilizes crown of gods extract combined with extracts of elephant ginger (Zingiber officinale), legundi leaves (Vitex trifolia), and saga leaves (Abrus precatorius). These four ingredients synergize with each other and provide a stronger effect in relieving coughs and symptoms of discomfort in the throat. The four herbs were processed by DLBS (Dexa Laboratories of Biomolecular Sciences) using the advanced fractionation technology (AFT) method to ensure that only the fractions that actually have health benefits are fractionated from the four herbs. The AFT process produces the active substance reconyl with a working mechanism as an antitussive and bronchodilator
Ginger which contains essential oils can give a warm feeling and help soothe the throat. Pharmacologically, ginger rhizome has an antitussive effect and empirically it is effective in relieving coughs
Saga leaves can also help cure colds and coughs. Saga leaves have an anti-inflammatory effect, including for healing wounds and sore throats. Meanwhile, legundi leaves contain flavonoid compounds (castatin) which act to relieve coughs
Herbakof is processed with modern AFT technology or produced with modern fractionation technology, not just extracting it. In the manufacturing process, only ingredients that are useful for relieving coughs and soothing the throat are taken, namely reconyl
Consuming these four herbs in one formula, namely Herbakof, is certainly more practical.
Herbakof is HALAL certified and can be consumed by adults and children over the age of 6 years. Herbakof is available in stickpack or bottle form. The Healthy Gang doesn’t need to worry because Herbakof syrup has been proven safe without EG/DEG content and can be consumed as recommended, without causing drowsiness.
- Sucher BJ. Cough and other nonspecific respiratory symptoms. In: Dipiro JT, et al. Pharmacotherapy a pathophysiologic approach. 11th edition. New York: McGraw Hill; 2020.
- Sharma S, Hashmi MF, Alhajjaj MS. Cough. [Updated 2022 Aug 18]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Accessed from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK493221/#_NBK493221_pubdet.
- NHS. Cough. Accessed from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cough/ . April 21, 2023.
- Reconyl. Product summary. Dexa Laboratories of Biomolecular Sciences. 2020. Data on files.
- Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia. Indonesian herbal pharmacopoeia edition II. Jakarta: Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia; 2017.
- Tandrasasmita OM, Sutanto AM, Arifin PF, Tjandrawinata RR. Anti-inflammatory, antiangiogenic, and apoptosis-inducing activity of DLBS1442, a bioactive fraction of Phaleria macrocarpa, in a RL95-2 cell line as a molecular model of endometriosis. International journal of women’s health. 2015;Vol 7:161.
- Altaf R. Phytochemistry and medicinal properties of Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl. extracts. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 2013; 7(13): 73-80.
- LayMM, et al. Phytochemical constituents, nutritional values, phenolics, flavonols, flavonoids, antioxidants and cytotoxicity studies on Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl fruits. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2014; 14(152): 1-22.
- Prat C, Lacoma A. Bacteria in the respiratory tract – how to treat? or do not treat? International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2016; 51: 113-122.
- Package insert. PT Dexa Medica.