7 Types of Exercise that Can Prevent Diabetes
A healthy lifestyle is important to prevent type 2 diabetes. One way to make this happen is to exercise regularly. Did you know that there are several types of exercise that help prevent diabetes? Check out the explanation below.
Variety of Exercise to Lower the Risk of Diabetes
Exercise is one way to help prevent diabetes. Not only that, this one physical activity can even help diabetics (diabetics) control their disease.
Please note, exercise can help manage prediabetes and type 2 diabetes by helping to lower blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity.
If you don’t want to suffer from this disease, there are various types of exercise you can do, including:
1. Weightlifting Exercises
One exercise that can prevent diabetes is muscle strength training. According to research published in Mayo clinic Proceedingsgood muscle strength can help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Even though it still requires further research, it never hurts to train your muscle strength. An example of exercise that can be done is lifting weights.
If you like cycling, be happy. The reason is, apart from being fun, cycling is a type of exercise that can prevent diabetes.
Research published in PLOS Medicine Journal revealed that participants who have cycling habits are less at risk of type 2 diabetes.
Not only that, the risk of contracting this disease can be reduced if the duration spent doing this physical activity is longer each week.
Also Read: 10 Types of Vegetables to Lower Blood Sugar, Easy to Get
Endurance training is a type of exercise to prevent diabetes that is considered effective. One of the exercises that can be done is yoga.
According to a review of studies, practicing yoga can reduce insulin resistance and reduce the risk of complications in diabetes.
Not only for physical health, yoga is also beneficial for mental health. This exercise can help improve sleep quality and mood.
Want to do a practical and easy aerobic exercise? Run or jogging could be the choice.
Keep in mind, running is a good exercise to lose weight. This exercise can help you burn calories, reduce belly fat, and suppress your appetite.
Belly fat is classified as fat visceral. This is the type of fat that can trigger insulin resistance, the cause of type 2 diabetes.
Therefore, to prevent diabetes, make sure to burn calories by running regularly. Do it for at least 150 minutes every week.
Besides increasing stamina, hiking or climbing a mountain can actually lower the sugar level in your blood. Therefore, mountain climbing is considered a sport to prevent diabetes.
By doing this physical activity, you can burn calories, lose belly fat, and strengthen your core muscles. All benefits hiking This is useful in preventing diabetes.
If you are among those at risk of developing diabetes, try to do this exercise regularly. Swimming is a type of aerobic exercise, one type of exercise recommended to prevent diabetes.
However, don’t push yourself right away when you first start this sport. Do it slowly, then increase the intensity. You can consult a doctor first.
Also Read: Diabetic Foot Exercise, Light Exercise to Control Blood Sugar
Calisthenics is included in endurance training, a type of exercise to prevent diabetes that is considered effective.
According to a review of BioMed Research International studiesroutinely doing resistance training can prevent and manage type 2 diabetes by reducing fat visceral and inflammation (inflammation).
Now,, those are some types of exercise to prevent diabetes that you can try. If you want to know the timeliness of exercise for diabetics and people who are at risk of experiencing it, you can consult a doctor.
- Anonymous. 2016. Bike to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes. https://www.diabetesincontrol.com/bike-to-prevent-type-2-diabetes/. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
- Anonymous. 2021. Diabetes Prevention: 5 Tips for Taking Control. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/in-depth/diabetes-prevention/art-20047639. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
- Dinsmoor, Robert, S. 2022. Hiking and Diabetes. https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/healthy-living/nutrition-exercise/hiking-and-diabetes/. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
- Fetters, K. Aleisha. 2020. How Exercise Helps Prevent and Manage Type 2 Diabetes. https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/how-exercise-helps-prevent-and-manage-type-2-diabetes/. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
- Innes, Kim E. & Selfe, Terry Kit. 2016. Yoga for Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: A Systematic Review of Controlled Trials. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jdr/2016/6979370/. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
- Ramamoorthi, Ramya, et al. 2019. The Effectiveness of Yoga to Prevent Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 A Protocol for Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. https://journals.lww.com/md-journal/fulltext/2019/01180/the_effectiveness_of_yoga_to_prevent_diabetes.22.aspx. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
- Ramman, Ryan. 2017. How Running Helps You Lose Weight. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/running-for-weight-loss. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
- Strasser, Barbara & Party, Dominik. 2013. Resistance Training for Diabetes Prevention and Therapy: Experimental Findings and Molecular Mechanisms. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3881442/. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
- Wang, Yuehan, et al. 2019. Association of Muscular Strength and Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes. https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(18)30789-4/fulltext. (Accessed December 27, 2022).
DoctorHealthy | © 2022 PT Media Kesehatan Indonesia. Copyright Protected