6 Types of Good Fish Consumed by Diabetics
Fish is a food source that is known to contain many important nutrients for maintaining a healthy body, including for psuffer from diabetes. What are the benefits that sufferers can get if they consume it regularly? Check out the full explanation below.
Fish Nutrition Content
Fish is high in protein and omega-3 fats such as EPA and DHA. Apart from protein and fat, fish also contains vitamin D, vitamin B12, and minerals; such as iodine, phosphorus and iron which are beneficial for healthy bones, eyes and nervous system.
But it cannot be denied, fish that are easy to find in the market also cause concern. One of them is related to levels of mercury and chemicals that pose a risk to the body.
Generally, diabetics have many dietary restrictions. That is why it is permissible to eat fish to be a concern that is often asked by diabetics. So, is it permissible to eat fish if you have diabetes? The answer is of course you can.
Fish is a good food for diabetics. The omega-3 protein contained in it can meet the energy needs and heart health of diabetics.
Fish also has a low glycemic index, which means eating fish won’t cause a sudden rise in blood sugar levels. In fact, eating fish can help maintain consistent glucose (sugar) levels.
Also Read: 7 Types of Fish with High Omega-3 Content
Good Types of Fish for Diabetics
Although they have many benefits for people with diabetes, the nutritional value of fish will vary depending on the type of fish you choose.
Here are several types of fish that can help control blood sugar levels, including:
Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These essential fats can reduce cardiovascular complications associated with diabetes, such as stroke and heart failure. In addition, this type of fish is safe for increasing insulin sensitivity.
The content of fiber, protein, omega-3 acids, vitamins, and minerals contained in mackerel serves to lower cholesterol levels in the blood. This fish is also believed to prevent heart disease and dementia.
Another type of fish that is recommended for diabetics is mackerel. Either mackerel or bloated, both of them have a high content of fatty acids and protein.
This of course will have a good impact on the health of the heart, blood vessels, and sugar levels in the blood. In addition, this type of fish is easy to find in the market at a fairly affordable price.
Also Read: Some Benefits of Goldfish for Health
Tilapia fish is high in selenium, a mineral that is considered effective in lowering blood sugar. This fish is also ideal for consumption by those of you who want to reduce cholesterol.
Rich in omega-3, sardines or better known as sardines can slow the absorption of glucose in the bloodstream. Not only preventing inflammation, this fish can also reduce the risk of heart disease in diabetes.
Even so, you should avoid consuming this fish in instant form because it generally contains high salt.
Fish that are still in the same family as sardines. High concentrations of EPA and DHA in herring are beneficial for brain and heart health. The content of vitamin D in it acts as an antioxidant to stabilize blood sugar levels.
Tips for Eating Safe Fish for Diabetics
To stay healthy, here are some tips on eating the right fish for diabetics, including:
- Don’t eat fish in excess, at least twice a week.
- Process fish by roasting, steaming, or boiling. Avoid frying fish because this way can reduce the nutritional value of the fish.
- Avoid eating raw fish because it can be at risk of poisoning.
Now,, that’s an explanation of the types and benefits of fish for diabetics. Don’t forget, choose fish with omega-3 fatty acids and high protein. In addition, make sure to regularly control blood sugar levels. Hopefully this information is useful, Healthy Friends.
- Anonymous. 2019. Fish. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/fish.html. (Accessed January 18, 2023)
- Fatima, Shiva. 2022. Is Fish Good For Diabetes?. https://www.sugarfit.com/blog/is-fish-good-for-diabetes/. (Accessed January 18, 2023)
- Margaret, O’Malley and Bedosky Lauren. 2021. The Best Seafood for People With Diabetes. https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/diet/the-best-seafood-for-diabetes/. (Accessed January 18, 2023)
- Michael, Greger. 2017. Why Would Eating Fish Increase Diabetes Risk?. https://nutritionfacts.org/2015/07/23/why-would-eating-fish-increase-diabetes-risk/. (Accessed January 2023)
- Sarode, Chandrashekara Ashwini. 2022. Is Fish Good for Diabetes?. https://www.breathewellbeing.in/blog/is-fish-good-for-diabetes/. (Accessed January 18, 2023)
DoctorHealthy | © 2023 PT Media Kesehatan Indonesia. Copyright Protected