14 Ways to Prevent Prostate Cancer that Men Need to Know
Prostate cancer is a frightening specter for men. The risk of developing this disease will increase with age. Even so, you don’t need to worry because this cancer can be prevented.
What is Prostate Cancer?
The prostate is a small gland located in the lower abdomen in men. This gland has various functions, such as producing semen. The prostate can experience several disorders, such as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), prostatitis, and prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer is a type of cancer that starts from abnormal cell growth in the prostate gland. This abnormal cell growth will form a mass (tumor) in the prostate. These cancer cells can spread to other areas of the body.
Prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer experienced by men. However, this condition is very likely to be cured if found at an early stage.
Various Ways to Prevent Prostate Cancer
Several risk factors for prostate cancer, such as age, race, and genetics cannot be prevented. However, there are several ways that can be changed to prevent this condition, namely by following a healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle.
Several ways you can do to prevent prostate cancer, including:
1. Increase the Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables contain many vitamins and nutrients that can reduce the risk of prostate cancer, such as antioxidants.
Antioxidants are compounds that can protect the body from free radical attacks so that the growth of cancer cells due to genetic mutations can also be prevented.
Consuming more fruits and vegetables will leave you with less room for other foods, one of which is high-fat foods.
2. Drink Coffee
Are you the type of person who can’t move before drinking coffee? It turns out that this habit is good in preventing prostate cancer.
A study states that drinking 3 cups of coffee a day can reduce the risk of fatal prostate cancer by 11 percent. The chemical compounds in coffee, that is cafestol And kahweol has cancer-fighting abilities.
If you want to get maximum benefits, you are advised to drink brewed coffee. This method of brewing will prevent the chemical compounds in the coffee from getting trapped in the filter paper.
However, that doesn’t mean you can consume as much coffee as possible. The caffeine content in coffee can cause adverse effects on health, such as difficulty sleeping and stomach aches.
3. Consumption of Soybeans
Soybeans contain chemical components in the form of isoflavones. This compound has anti-inflammatory capabilities so that the risk of prostate cancer can also be reduced.
Processed soybean products that contain high concentrations of isoflavones, including tofu, soy milk, and miso.
4. Consumption of Green Tea
Research shows that men who consume more green tea have a lower risk of developing prostate cancer. However, more research is needed to support this claim.
Green tea contains catechin compounds which have anticancer effects. Catechins work by protecting the body from exposure to free radicals, which are one of the causes of cancer.
5. Consumption of Foods Containing Lycopene
Lycopene is a pigment that gives fruit and vegetables their red color. Lycopene can be found in tomatoes, watermelon, red peppers, fruit and other red vegetables.
Lycopene also has strong antioxidant capabilities so it is known to significantly reduce the development and growth of prostate cancer cells.
Also Read: Getting to Know the Stage of Prostate Cancer from the Early Stage to the Late Stage
6. Consumption of Low-Fat Foods
Saturated fats and animal fats are known to increase the risk of prostate cancer. Therefore, you are advised to reduce your intake of this fat. This step can also help you maintain heart health and prevent obesity.
Animal fats are found not only in meat but also include butter and cheese. You are advised to switch to vegetable fats, such as olive oil, nuts, and seeds.
7. Limit Consumption of Dairy Products
Several studies state that a lot of consumption of dairy products can increase the risk of prostate cancer.
Men who consume a lot of calcium—from food and supplements—have a higher risk of developing malignant prostate cancer. Therefore, you need to limit dairy products and their derivatives.
8. Regular Exercise
Being overweight can have an adverse effect on overall health, including prostate cancer.
Therefore, you are advised to maintain your weight within the normal range. One way to achieve this is to do sports.
Physical activity can increase muscle mass, improve metabolism, and improve heart health. You can try several sports to keep from getting bored, such as walking, running, swimming, and cycling.
9. Routine Ejaculation
Research conducted Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in 2016 stated that men who ejaculate more frequently, which is more than 20 times a month have a 20 percent lower risk of developing prostate cancer.
Although further research is needed on the relationship between the two. Some experts theorize that ejaculating releases toxins and other compounds that cause inflammation.
10. No Smoking
Quitting smoking can improve health in a number of ways, including lowering the risk of cancer. In cigarettes, there are at least 70 compounds that can cause cancer.
Every time you inhale cigarette smoke, it means that these compounds enter the blood circulation and eventually spread throughout the body. These compounds can damage DNA and cause cancer cells, including in the prostate.
Also Read: Rarely Realized, These Are Symptoms of Prostate Infection in Men
11. Maintain Ideal Body Weight
Maintaining an ideal body weight can make the body avoid various diseases, including prostate cancer. To have an ideal body weight, you are advised to limit the amount of food, choose foods that are nutritionally balanced but lower in calories, and do regular exercise.
12. Have Sex Safely
Sexually transmitted infections such as cytomegalovirus and trichomoniasis has been linked to prostate cancer.
Cytomegalovirus is a type of herpes found in prostate cancer tissue. As for trichomoniasis is a treatable virus and may have long-term effects.
a study found that men who had been infected with trichomoniasis had a 40 percent greater chance of developing the disease.
13. Avoid Consuming Vitamin E Supplements
While vitamins are a good thing, a study published in Journal of the National Cancer Institute found that consuming too much vitamin E may increase the risk of prostate cancer.
According to National Institute of Healtha person does not need to take additional supplements if they are already getting 15 mg of vitamin E a day.
14. Routine Doing Medical Checkup
The last effort that can be done to prevent this condition is to do it medical checkup,
especially for those of you who do have risk factors for this disease. These risk factors are as follows:
- Age 50 and over
- Experiencing obesity
- Family history
NowHere are some ways that can help prevent prostate cancer. Hopefully this information is useful, Healthy Friends.
- Anonymous. Prostate Cancer: Prevention. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/prostate-cancer/prostate-cancer-prevention. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Anonymous. Understanding Prostate Changes: A Health Guide for Men. https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/understanding-prostate-changes. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Anonymous. 2021. Tobacco and Cancer. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/tobacco/index.htm. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Anonymous. 2022. Why More Sex May Lower Prostate Cancer Risk. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/why-more-sex-may-lower-prostate-cancer-risk/. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Anonymous. 2020. Can Prostate Cancer Be Prevented? https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/causes-risks-prevention/prevention.html. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Bean, M and Melissa, M. 2018. 8 Easy Things You Can Do to Reduce Your Risk of Prostate Cancer. https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19537335/8-steps-prevent-prostate-cancer/. (Accessed 17 February 2023).
- Brazer, Yvette. 2023. What To Know About Prostate Cancer. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/150086. (Deakes on 17 February 2023).
- Harris, Scott. 2018. What Are The Natural Ways To Prevent Prostate Cancer? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322795. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Kinman, Tricia. 2022. Everything You Want to Know About Prostate Cancer. https://www.healthline.com/health/prostate-cancer. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Mayo Clinic staff. 2022. Prostate Cancer Prevention: Ways To Reduce Your Risk. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prostate-cancer/in-depth/prostate-cancer-prevention/art-20045641. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Naponelli, Valeria, et al. 2017. Green Tea Catechins for Prostate Cancer Prevention: Present Achievements and Future Challenges. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5488006/. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
- Seladi-Schulman, Jill. 2022. How to Lower Your Risk of Prostate Cancer. https://www.healthline.com/health/9-tips-to-prevent-prostate-cancer. (Accessed February 17, 2023).
DoctorHealthy | © 2023 PT Media Kesehatan Indonesia. Copyright Protected