12 Benefits of Jackfruit Seeds for Body Health
Not only does the flesh hold many health benefits, the seeds of the jackfruit also contain many important nutrients that the body needs. What are the benefits for health? Check out the full explanation in the following review.
Nutritional Content of Jackfruit Seeds
When compared to other tropical fruit seeds, jackfruit seeds store a lot of important nutrients. Jackfruit seeds are known to contain high amounts of starch, protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Every 100 grams of jackfruit seeds contain:
- Water: 51-64.5 grams.
- Calories: 189.
- Carbohydrate: 25.8-38.4 g.
- Proteins: 6.6-7.04 g.
- Fat: 0 g.
- Fiber: 1.0-1.5 g.
- Calcium: 50 mg.
- Phosphorus:38-97 mg.
- Magnesium: 54 mg.
- Potassium: 246 mg.
- Sodium: 63.2 mg.
- Iron: 1.5 mg.
- Vitamin A: 10-17 SI.
- Riboflavin:0.11-0.3 mg.
- Thiamine: 0.25 mg.
- Vitamin C: 11 mg.
Various Benefits of Jackfruit Seeds for Health
Apart from the flesh, it turns out that the jackfruit seeds are no less nutritious. Here are some of the benefits of jackfruit seeds for body health, including:
1. Increase Immunity
The content of antibacterial, antiviral, and several nutrients such as vitamin A and vitamin C in jackfruit seeds can help improve the function of the body’s immune system.
Jacalin, a protein derivative in jackfruit seeds, has been proven to boost the body’s immune system.
2. Helps Maintain Healthy Skin and Hair
The content of vitamin C and antioxidants in jackfruit seeds can protect the body from free radical damage due to exposure to sunlight. The benefits of this protection can also be felt by the skin and hair.
Antioxidants can help reduce signs of aging, such as wrinkles and dark circles under the eyes. In addition, the nutrients contained in it also help form collagen and overcome skin problems.
Jackfruit seeds can also act as an antimicrobial that treats problems with scalp and hair infections, so that hair loss can be reduced.
3. Maintain Eye Health
The content of vitamin A in jackfruit seeds is useful for improving eyesight. Regular consumption of boiled jackfruit seeds is known to prevent eye diseases such as night blindness.
4. Prevent Anemia
Jackfruit seeds have an important role to overcome and prevent anemia and other blood disorders. The iron content in it is an important component for producing hemoglobin.
Also Read: Can Diabetics Eat Jackfruit? Here’s the Explanation
5. Improves Digestive Health
Jackfruit seeds have antispasmodic properties that can help reduce gas in the stomach. Therefore, jackfruit seeds can reduce bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and irritable bowel syndrome.
The fiber content in jackfruit seeds can help bowel movement and facilitate bowel movements.
6. Has Antimicrobial Effects
Research shows that the surface of jackfruit seeds is covered with small particles that act as antimicrobial agents.
These particles have been shown to stop growth E. coli so that it is known to have the potential to be developed into a drug that prevents food poisoning.
7. Lowering Cholesterol Levels
Research shows that jackfruit seeds can improve cholesterol levels. This benefit is obtained from the fiber and antioxidants in jackfruit seeds.
A study revealed that rats that ate a lot of jackfruit seeds had lower LDL cholesterol levels and higher HDL cholesterol levels; when compared to rats that consume less jackfruit seeds.
To ensure its benefits, further research in humans is needed.
8. Potentially Prevents Cancer
Jackfruit seeds are rich in antioxidants, especially flavonoids, saponins and phenolics. These compounds can help fight inflammation, boost the immune system, and repair damaged DNA. This is what makes jackfruit seeds have anticancer properties.
A study found that jackfruit seed extract can reduce the formation of cancerous blood vessels by up to 61 percent.
Also Read: Even though it’s healthy, can you eat fruit at night?
9. Increases Sexual Satisfaction
People with anemia will have a lower number of red blood cells than people who are not anemic.
A low number of red blood cells is known to cause sexual problems, such as erectile dysfunction and decreased sexual satisfaction in women.
The iron in jackfruit seeds can contribute to the formation of red blood cells so that anemia can be overcome and sexual satisfaction can also be increased.
10. Helps Control Blood Pressure
Jackfruit seeds are known to be a good source of potassium. Potassium has a role in lowering blood pressure by reducing the effects of sodium and making blood vessels more flexible.
However, consumption of foods rich in potassium can have an adverse effect on people with kidney disease, so you need to consult with your doctor first.
11. Prevent Insomnia
The magnesium content in jackfruit seeds can help make the body more relaxed.
A study states that adults who take magnesium supplements have better sleep quality. However, further research is needed to show the benefits of jackfruit seeds in preventing insomnia.
Nowthat’s the various benefits of jackfruit seeds for health that you can get.
Eventually, You can process jackfruit seeds by boiling or baking them to get a snack that is high in nutrition but still low in fat.
The various nutrients in jackfruit seeds and their low calorie and fat values make them a healthy snack option.
- Anonymous. 2016. How Potassium Can Help Control High Blood Pressuree. https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/high-blood-pressure/changes-you-can-make-to-manage-high-blood-pressure/how-potassium-can-help-control- high-blood-pressure. (Accessed February 22, 2023).
- Help, Cheri. 2019. Jackfruit Seeds: Nutrition, Benefits, Concerns, and Uses. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/jackfruit-seeds. (Accessed February 22, 2023).
- Basu, Soumita. 2022. Jackfruit Seeds: Don’t Discard Those Nutty Kernels Yet. Read The Health Reasons Inside. https://www.netmeds.com/health-library/post/jackfruit-seeds-dont-discard-those-nutty-kernels-yet-read-the-health-reasons-inside. (Accessed February 22, 2023).
- Nikzad, Zahra, et al. 2018. The Relationship Between Iron Deficiency Anemia And Sexual Function And Satisfaction Among Reproductive-Aged Iranian Women. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6283628/. (Accessed February 22, 2023).
- Ranasinghe, R. et al. Nutritional and Health Benefits of Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.): A Review. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6339770/ (Accessed 22 February 2023).
- Sissons, Beth. 2022. Can Anemia Cause Erectile Dysfunction?. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/can-anemia-cause-erectile-dysfunction#link. (Accessed February 22, 2023).
DoctorHealthy | © 2023 PT Media Kesehatan Indonesia. Copyright Protected